Community Living Essex County is committed to maintaining confidentiality and protecting the privacy of the personal information it collects, uses or discloses.
Information practices comply with relevant legislation including the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act of Canada (PIPEDA), the Personal Health Information Protection Act (Ontario) (PHIPA).
The agency adheres to the following information practices.
- The collection of personal information is by open, fair and lawful means. The purpose for collecting personal information is explained at or before the time the information is collected. The information collected is limited to what is necessary to achieve the purpose.
- Personal information may only be collected, used or disclosed after informed consent is given by the person or their substitute decision maker. Consent may be implied or explicit, conditional or unconditional.
- Collection, use and disclosure of personal information without consent from the person is permitted when required by law.
- The agency protects and secures the personal information in its possession from unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use, error, loss or modification. Personal information is stored in locked files or password protected electronic records to which only authorized personnel have access.
- Personal information is kept by the agency as long as necessary to achieve the stated purposes and to comply with legislation and regulations regarding records retention. When information is no longer required to be kept, disposal of the record is in accordance the Agency’s policies and procedures.
- The person has access to their personal information, except in circumstances where there is reasonable risk of harm or in accordance with the law.
- Questions or complaints about information practices may be resolved by using the agency’s Appeals Process for Individuals / Families.
For further assistance contact the agency’s Privacy Officer, Director, Human Resources.
Policy references: Privacy and Protection of Personal Information Policy ADM-100-17, Confidentiality/Release of Confidential Information ADM-100-04, Management of Individual Records Policy PRO-300-03